Saturday, August 16, 2008

Unless We Become Like Children...

What good are tears?
Other than making my head hurt and my nose run?
They don’t solve a thing.
Kind of like getting drunk.
When you sober up the problem is still there.
And when you’re drinking you're just feeling sorry for yourself.

What are tears anyway?
Water running out my eye sockets.
How strange is that?
Obviously, I have a leak and it needs repaired.
Can’t use glue, hammer or nails.
Can’t keep holding my finger up there like the little dutch boy.
Can’t keep filling up wastecans with wadded up tissues.
It's messy and besides the dog likes to chew them up.

The Bible says there will be no tears in heaven.
Well, more and more I’m thinking it should be that way on earth,
or at least in my little corner of the world.
I’d rather grab a box of crayons and color.
Or walk outside in the grass with no shoes on.
Or pretend that I’m a princess.
Or curl up in my Abba’s lap and snuggle.
Or put on something pretty -
like a dress with polka dots.
Or glue sparkles on construction paper
and give it to someone I love.

I don’t know.
I guess tears are here for a reason.
But not like they used to be.
I used to cry in the shower
and now instead I draw a smiley face on the steamy door.

Tears seem very earthy all of a sudden.
And polka dots and sparkles seem like heaven.
So I will choose moments of tears
and an eternity of polka dots and sparkles.

2 comments:

AprilMarie Hawbaker said...

hey, you're on a roll.
I just finished my assignment. I don't love it , but at least it's writing.

Ames said...

this weeks theme = green